Strategic sourcing is the process by which a company decides how to source its materials to optimize for the highest value of quality and price. This is a continual process, and one the company needs to constantly re-evaluate.
How to evaluate if you are following up the right sourcing strategy? Some questions to answer are:
• Do we have the right suppliers identified for the new products?
• Do we have the right resources and team that is needed for our purchasing organization to be well established for the next 5 to 10 years?
• From a cost standpoint... Are we cost competitive in the market?
• Do we have the right contracts and terms established with our customers and/ or suppliers?
• Do we have the right purchasing policies in place for the organization?